University of Leicester
Various, according to timetable. Details of when each class is scheduled to take place will be available in mid December on Open Timetables: https://opentimetable.le.ac.uk/
Up to 10 demonstrators will be required to assist academic staff in delivering teaching materials in specific modules, mainly for practical classes. Applicants should have a keen interest in supporting the learning of our undergraduate community.
Duties and responsibilities
Supporting the learning of undergraduate geology students in face to face delivery of practical classes or remote classes in the following modules. Please specify which module(s) or part of module you wish to apply for in your application:
• GY0011 Principles of Earth Science and Earth Systems (1 role, up to 18 hours). Module convenor: Jens Zinke
• GL1101 The Rock Cycle (up to 36 hours), can be split between 2 demonstrators (20 hours and 16 hours respectively). Module convenor: Marc Reichow
• GL1104 Natural Resources and the Environment (up to 24 hours, can be split between 2 demonstrators: 8 hours GIS practicals, 9 hours practicals). Module convenor: Dave Holwell
• GL1105 Geological Maps and Structures (up to 29 hours); can be split between 2 demonstrators. Module convenor: Sarah Lee
• GL2102 Structure and Tectonics (up to 36 hours), can be split between 2 demonstrators. Module convenor: Gawen Jenkin
• GL2105 Depositional Processes & the Environment (up to 16 hours). Module convenor: Sarah Lee
Please note that if face to face practical classes are cancelled, the demonstrating roles may cease with immediate effect unless there is a requirement to support online delivery.
Details of when each class is scheduled to take place will be available in mid December on Open Timetables: https://opentimetable.le.ac.uk/
Skills and experience
• Relevant degree and knowledge of subject matter and continuing education by means of a postgraduate doctoral degree in a relevant subject.
• High level of proficiency in English, sufficient to support teaching and administrative activities utilising English language materials and to communicate effectively with staff and students
• Evidence of good, effective oral communication, presentation and training skills
• A commitment to high-quality teaching
• Proven competency in IT, and familiarity with a computerised environment.
• Demonstrators should have undergone/arrange to undertake the ‘Preparing to Teach in Higher Education Programme’ programme provided by the Leicester Learning Institute.
The School of Geography, Geology and the Environment is based in the Bennett building.
How to apply:
Please apply online with your CV and cover letter detailing why you feel you are suitable for this role and which course you are applying for
Closing date for applications: Sunday 10th December 2023
Unitemps is acting as an Employment Business, supplying temporary workers, in relation to this vacancy.
The University of Leicester has been changing the world, and changing people’s lives, for 100 years. When you join us, you’ll become part of a community of Citizens of Change, which includes not only our staff and our current students but also thousands of Leicester graduates around the world.
As a diverse and forward-thinking employer, we embed the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion into everything we do. That includes not just our core missions of teaching and research, but also our support for staff, students and our local community through our values of Inspiring, Impactful and Inclusive.