University of Leicester
Various, according to timetable.
Up to 15 demonstrators will be required to assist academic staff in delivering teaching materials in a specific module, mainly for practical classes. Applicants should have a keen interest in supporting the learning of our undergraduate community.
Duties and responsibilities
Supporting the learning of undergraduate geography students in face to face delivery of practical classes or remote classes in the following modules. Please specify which module(s) you wish to apply for in your application
GY1412 Environment, Nature and Society. (up to 2 roles, 5 hours each). Module contact (temporarily): Claire Jarvis
GY1421 Working with Geographic Information (2 roles, 20 hours each). Module convenor: Kirsten Barret
GY1433 Field & Lab techniques for Physical Geographers (1 role, 6 hours for 1 week in early March)
GY2421 Geographical Information Science (2 roles to cover practicals and surgeries, 22 hours each). Need ArcMap skills. Module convenor: Claire Jarvis
GY3417 Critical, symbolic and Emotional Rural Geographies (1 role up to 8 hours for a day visit to Coalville, date tbc). Module convenor: Martin Phillips.
GY7707 Geospatial Data Analytics (2 roles to cover practicals and surgeries, 17 hours each). Must be able to programme in R. Module convenor: Nick Tate
GY7708 Geospatial Artificial Intelligence (2 roles, 18 hours each). Module convenor: Stef de Sabbata
GY7709 Python (1 role to cover 20 hours of practicals). Python programming skills needed. Module convenor: Heiko Balzter
GY7711 Field Data Capture (up to 2 roles to cover 12 hours of practicals and 5 field days (8 hours per day). Field days are local to Leicester, dates to be confirmed. Some experience of laser/scanning, surveying etc. Module convenor: Nick Tate
Please note that if face to face practical classes are cancelled, the demonstrating roles may cease with immediate effect unless there is a requirement to support online delivery.
Details of when each class is scheduled to take place will be available on or after the 17th December on Open Timetables: https://opentimetable.le.ac.uk/
Skills and experience
• Relevant degree and knowledge of subject matter and continuing education by means of a postgraduate doctoral degree in a relevant subject.
• High level of proficiency in English, sufficient to support teaching and administrative activities utilising English language materials and to communicate effectively with staff and students
• Evidence of good, effective oral communication, presentation and training skills
• A commitment to high-quality teaching
• Proven competency in IT, and familiarity with a computerised environment.
• Demonstrators should have undergone/arrange to undertake the ‘Preparing to Teach in Higher Education Programme’ programme provided by the Leicester Learning Institute.
The School of Geography, Geology and the Environment is based in the Bennett building.
How to apply:
Please apply online with your CV
Closing date for applications is Friday 9th December 2022
Unitemps is acting as an Employment Business, supplying temporary workers, in relation to this vacancy.