De Montfort University
Other - See Job
15 hours per week
The purpose of this role would be to support the web development of East Midlands
Chamber’s Collective Intelligence Skills Observatory (CISO – Collective Intelligence Skills Observatory (insight-unlocked.co.uk).
The CISO is being developed as part of DfE’s Local Skills Improvement Plan programme, which aims to improve the links between businesses and education. Covering Leicester and Leicestershire, it brings together a
series of skills demand and skills supply data, aiming to make interesting data useful,
This role will require refinement of the CISO website to enhance the web framework and
web architecture. The updated website will be interactive, dynamic and provide better
The ideal candidate would have good knowledge in areas including web development,
web frameworks, human-machine interaction, basic level of cloud computing, and good
understanding of databases, therefore a degree in software engineering or computer
science is essential.
There is also a need to be able to communicate a sustainable development process so a good understanding of web frameworks and how to implement it (along with the software for doing this) would be desirable.
The role requires technical skills so experience of web development would be useful but the ability to communicate well about the impact of development approach with stakeholders is essential.
Working hours: Monday 28 November 2022 to Friday 3 March 2023, 15 hours per week
Based at: Leicester office and/or remote
Salary: £15 per hour plus £1.81 holiday pay per hour
Duties and responsibilities
Developing and enhancing CISO website interface and framework
• Engaging with stakeholders to understand wireframe or the layout of the website
• Improving the web architecture and interface to enhance user experience
• Working with the Business Insight Lead to develop a sustainable approach to
support the future of CISO
• Gaining feedback from users of the CISO and improving website iteratively
• Developing analytics capability of the website
Skills and experience
• Web development languages
- AJAX or jQuery (desirable)
• Web frameworks (knowledge of at least one Python
- Django or Flask (Python) (desirable)
- AngularJS, Spark, Php, Node.js (desirable)
• Knowledge of cloud computing and human-machine interaction (desirable)
• Knowledge of SQL databases (essential)
• Experience of full stack web development (desirable)
• Experience of working with web frameworks (desirable)
• Experience of working in agile development lifecycle (desirable)
• Experience of working with a diverse range of stakeholders (desirable)
• Undergraduate degree (or working towards) with minimum of 2:1 in Software Engineering or Computer Science (essential)
• Post-graduate degree (or working towards) with minimum of 2:1 in Software Engineering or Computer Science (desirable)
• Excellent web development skills (essential)
• Ability to translate business requirements to technical information (essential)
• Ability to develop compelling web interface (essential)
• Excellent SQL database skills (essential)
• Ability to work well within a team (essential)
• Strong communication (written & oral skills) (essential)
• Excellent testing and deployment skills (desirable)
• Highly motivated - can work as part of a team and independently (essential)
• Strong technical skills to identify root cause of problems on website (essential)
• Takes responsibility (essential)
• Celebrates and is proud of success (essential)
• Supports others and works well with a team (essential)
• Creative and challenges tradition (essential)
• Must be dependable and reliable (essential)
• Must be able to exercise tact and diplomacy at all levels (essential)
• Must be able to work under own initiative (essential)
Leicester office and/or remote
Due to the volume of applications we receive, any indicated closing date is subject to change at the hiring manager’s discretion. If you have not been contacted within 2 weeks of applying for the role, unfortunately your application has not been successful in this instance.
Are you a DMU Student and require help putting together a CV/Cover Letter?
Why not make the use of the Digital tools available via MyGateway by clicking HERE. Here is where you can access CV360, CV Builder and the Cover Letter Builder tool.
Unitemps is acting as an Employment Business, supplying temporary workers, in relation to this vacancy.