Casual Technician - Warwick Arts Centre
University of Warwick
Varied, Monday – Sunday between 07:00 – 03:00
To provide and assist with the provision of audio, lighting, stage management, and other technical services including AV. Ideally specializing in at least one of these areas. In relation to the requirements of venue users, management and others who use the premises and facilities at Warwick Arts Centre.To assist with the timely maintenance of all equipment associated with the stage, auditorium and rehearsal/hire spaces and to assist with the inspection of all installations and equipment to ensure compliance with current legislation and licensing requirements.To assist with the provision of technical support and general help and assistance to all users, hirers and service users within the general responsibilities of the post.To have an awareness of current Health and Safety legislation and general requirements associated with premises Licensed for public entertainment and to assist the Technical Manager, Arts Centre Management and Front of House Manager in ensuring the safety and security of Warwick Arts Centre, its staff, users and members of the public at all times.To assist the Technical Manager/ Technical Director as required with the preparation of production facilities and services to the standard deemed necessary for any event or activity.Working days are Monday – Sunday between 07:00 – 03:00. The minimum shift length is 4 hours. There are no minimum or maximum hours per week. Please include in your covering letter your availability between these times and your minimum, maximum and ideal working hours per week.
- To assist in the provision of lighting, audio, stage management and technical services required by users and hirers of Warwick Arts Centre.
- To provide assistance to all hirers and users of the arts centre venues and advise as required in the use of appropriate lighting techniques and other support services.
- To assist in the supervision of all hirers and users of the facilities of the venues in accordance with their requirements.
- To assist in ensuring that all aspects of the Health and Safety at Work Regulations and licensing requirements are fully complied with and to report all non-compliance and associated problems to the Technical Manager/ Director.
- To assist with the supervision and duty of care of all technicians and backstage crew who are working in a Casual/ Freelance capacity for Warwick Arts Centre.
- To assist with the supervision of winches and hemp lines and associated facilities when being used to fly or support scenery, ensuring safe practices are used at all times, by all personnel.
- To assist the Technical Manager in ensuring the venue complies with all current and relevant methods of inspection and record keeping.
- To assist with the general upkeep and day to day maintenance of the premises and report via the correct channels any aspect of maintenance which requires attention.
- To report to the Technical Manager / Director any operational problems associated with the conditions of individual hirers’ contract documentation.
- To assist all services resident at the venue in their use of the facilities e.g. Estates, Cleaners, Catering etc.
- To liaise with the House Manager or their deputy, other members of staff and where appropriate members of the public, to ensure a high standard of customer care is delivered at all times.
- To assist the Technical Manager and the Arts Centre Technical theatre team with annual safety inspections and on-going risk assessments of the premises.
- To screen digital projections and assist with the associated maintenance, repair and administrative cinema duties as required.
- To be willing to undertake any additional training as required by the post.
- To keep up to date with technological developments in the Technical Theatre and performance industry and advise on their suitability for use at Warwick Arts Centre.
- To be an active, willing and flexible member of the team supporting Warwick Arts Centre meet its objectives and vision.
- To understand and promote University and Warwick Arts Centre policies and procedures.
- Any other duties commensurate with the general level of the post.
- GCSE A-C English, Maths, Science.
- Previous professional experience in one or more of the following:
- Stage management and technical services, counterweight or hemp set flying systems
- Rigging / installing / operating audio systems including replay and live mixing using both analogue and digital systems.
- Experience of rigging / installing / operating lighting systems including control systems with both generic and intelligent fixtures, experience of DMX networks, Working with three phase electrical supply.
- The ability to work long, unsocial hours potentially working over a 7 day period. Working at height, with low light, manual handling and trip hazards in a sometimes dirty, noisy environment & night working.
- An awareness of Health and Safety incl LOLER or PUWER, COSHH, Noise at work.
- Ability to interpret and adapt plans.
- Good IT skills.
- The ability to maintain a flexible and creative approach; Artistic sensitivity.
- A proven ability to work on own initiative to solve problems in venues.
- Experience of AV services and Digital Cine Projection.
- Excellent people management and customer skills.
- Ability to fit up, operate and fault find sound and lighting equipment.
- Excellent knowledge of lighting, audio, stage management and/or technical services.
- A level Maths / Science / Engineering or equivalent, Degree in a relevant subject. City and Guilds 181.Relevant vocational training ABTT awards, PLASA rigging, IPAF.
- Supervision of casuals, freelancers, students, visiting technical staff as required, external contractors.
Warwick Arts Centre – University of Warwick
- Advert close date: Role will close when positions are filled.
- Interview date: Interviews will be held throughout September and October.
- Dress Code: You are required to supply your own hard wearing trousers (preferably black) and steel toe caps. A uniform top will be provided
Please include in your covering letter your availability between these times and your minimum, maximum and ideal working hours per week.