Academic Engagement Communications Intern
The Information Services Group (ISG) at the University of Edinburgh is now welcoming applications from undergraduate students who are interested in working over the summer as an Academic Engagement Communications Intern. The successful student intern will support ISG’s Learning, Teaching and Web (LTW) team to develop communications for business continuity and major incident responses, to keep staff and students fully informed of changes or outages with University platforms such as Learn, Collaborate and MyEd.
This internship offers an excellent opportunity for an intern to gain valuable experience of working as part of a busy, multi-professional team managing critical business communications at the heart of the university’s learning services. The intern will also gain experience writing content for social media, news reporting, blogs and reports, as well as using applications to create graphics and infographics.
The remuneration for this internship is UE03 £9.87 per hour, plus £1.59 per hour holiday pay. The intern is anticipated to start on 31st May 2021 and will work for 12 weeks. The intern can expect to work around 35hrs pw for the duration of the internship, however the manager is willing to be flexible regarding hours worked. The intern will also be eligible to participate in an Edinburgh Award, to receive formal recognition for their commitment to work experience while studying.
We anticipate that this internship will be based entirely online (working from home).
• Engage with the Learn Foundations team on the next iteration of this institution-wide improvement programme to ensure high visibility of this work with staff and students.
• Provide communications support for a programme of work exploring hybrid working options for staff at the University;
• Assist with communications tasks required during the period of the internship, primarily:
- Writing content for social media, emails and newsletters.
- Supporting a campaign to raise awareness of eLearning and online media.
• A current University of Edinburgh undergraduate student
• Currently residing in the UK, and continuing to be located in the UK for the duration of the internship (due to complex tax and legal issues associated with employing staff overseas, we cannot accommodate any student working abroad while participating in this internship)
• Excellent written communication skills, spelling, grammar and attention to detail.
• Experience of writing content for social media, news reporting, blogs or reports.
• A demonstrable talent for explaining complex technical concepts to lay audiences
• Some experience of newsletter creation or use of online newsletters.
• Prior experience of using applications to create graphics/infographics
• Prior experience of using social media and other channels to support communications objectives
• An understanding of the wide range of audiences within the University
• A nuanced understanding of the ways in which social media can be used to engage and persuade
• Knowledge of web accessibility and inclusion issues.
• An ongoing commitment to developing your own digital skills
• A creative approach to problem solving
Please apply via the Unitemps link, uploading a cover letter which clearly states how you have the appropriate skills and experience to be considered for the role.
PLEASE NOTE this advert may close early if sufficient applications are received prior to the closing date (25th April)