Learn Foundations Learning Applications Developer
This internship is suitable for a talented, technically-minded individual with excellent problem solving abilities, and presents an excellent opportunity for a student to build upon their technical/development skills in a learning and development environment.
The remuneration for this intern will be UE04 £11.03 per hour, plus £1.77 per hour holiday pay. This internship is likely to begin on 31st May 2021 and will run for 12 weeks. The postholder can expect to work 35hrs per week for the duration of the internship. They will also be eligible to take part in the Edinburgh Award, allowing them to receive formal recognition for their commitment to gaining work experience during their studies.
We expect the internship will be based entirely online (working from home), however, if at any point a return to the office is expected, then this could move to the central University campus.
- Working closely with the Digital Learning Applications and Media team to ensure that all code is written with sustainability in mind, to support the gradual move to Learn Ultra (a new version of the Learn Virtual Learning Environment)
- Add functionality to Learn, and related systems, to provide new ways of using it.
- Explore the sustainability of other Learn integrations and extensions for the future.
- Prepare and write documentation for projects and code.
- Write and talk about your internship experience through blog posts, news articles and presentations at conferences and meetings.
- Work with peers to review code, discuss issues, and provide solutions to development problems raised by yourself or team members.
- Document all code carefully, prior to the internship ending.
Students who meet the below criteria are encouraged to apply:
• A current University of Edinburgh student (you must be a matriculated student for the duration of your employment).
• Currently residing in the UK, and continuing to be located in the UK for the duration of the internship (due to complex tax and legal issues associated with employing staff overseas, we cannot accommodate any student working abroad while participating in this internship)
• Demonstrable experience in PHP programming and the use of MVC (model, view, controller) based frameworks such as Laravel.
• Excellent written and verbal presentation skills, with the ability to present complex information simply and effectively.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Demonstrable experience working with REST APIs and familiarity with OAuth 2.0
• Previous experience in a similar role or knowledge of the Learn Foundations project would be advantageous.
• An understanding of Learn Foundations and the importance of consistency across courses.
• An interest in working in a learning and development or information technology environment.
Please apply via the Unitemps link, uploading a CV and cover letter which clearly states how you have the appropriate skills and experience to be considered for the role.
PLEASE NOTE this advert may close early if sufficient applications are received prior to the closing date (25th April)