User Experience Researcher Intern
The University of Edinburgh’s Information Services Group (ISG) are now recruiting for an undergraduate student to join them over the summer months as a User Experience Researcher Intern. The successful intern will work within ISG’s Website and Communications team, which provides a range of digital solutions to the University. Their focus is on building to meet user requirements, so they can build the right thing for the right people, first time.
The team are looking for the User Experience Researcher Intern to help them learn more about the needs of staff and students. This research will directly inform the improvement of high-profile online services, primarily the University’s web portal (MyEd).
This internship offers a fantastic opportunity for the student to gain experience in carrying out and planning user experience research and sharing research output with others. They’ll also gain experience of software development processes and standards, as well as managing research logistics and secure storage of artefacts.
The salary for this internship is UoE03 £9.87 per hour, plus £1.59 per hour holiday pay. The successful student will start on 31st May 2021 and will continue for 12 weeks, working around 35hrs per week for the duration. The intern will also be eligible to take part in the Edinburgh Award, enabling them to receive formal recognition for their commitment to gaining work experience during their studies.
We anticipate that this internship will be based online (remote working from home) initially, however, if at any point a return to the office is expected, then this could move to the central University campus in Edinburgh.
The User Experience Researcher Intern can expect to:
• Work alongside and assist the Portal Services Team.
• Carry out user experience research with University staff and students, following an agreed plan, and contribute to the development of new plans.
• Draft materials such as reports and presentations for sharing the research output with others.
• Recruit participants and organise logistics for carrying out user experience research.
• Prepare and organise the storage of artefacts from interviews and testing, such as video recordings and transcripts.
• Participate in team meetings and liaise the with line manager on tasks.
• A current University of Edinburgh undergraduate student
• Currently residing in the UK, and continuing to be located in the UK for the duration of the internship (due to complex tax and legal issues associated with employing staff overseas, we cannot accommodate any student working abroad while participating in this internship)
• Enthusiastic and interested in the value of user experience to deliver the University’s online services
• Able to communicate clearly, accurately and concisely to a wide range of stakeholders
• A confident and capable approach to recruiting participants face-to-face, and conducting interviews
• Well organised with excellent time management skills, and capable of organising work based on a written plan
• Demonstrable interest in design and/or design thinking
• Experience in web development or design, such as designing a personal website
• Experience in leading or organising groups of people, such as taking on a student leadership role
Other benefits interns are entitled to include: Access to apply for internal job vacancies at the University of Edinburgh. For regular users of display screen equipment, a VDU eye test is available at one of the university's chosen optometrists. Access to University of Edinburgh library. Access to subsidised gym membership
PLEASE NOTE this advert may close early if sufficient applications are received prior to the closing date (22nd April)