Web Migration Intern
The University of Edinburgh’s Information Services Group (ISG) are now open to applications from undergraduate students who would be interested in working as a Web Migration Intern this summer. The successful intern will work within ISG’s Website and Communications (WAC) team. The team provides the technical and editorial drive behind the University of Edinburgh’s corporate website and Content Management System (CMS).
The salary for this position is UoE03 £9.87 per hour, plus £1.59 per hour holiday pay. The Web Migration Intern will start on 31st May 2021 and will work for 12 weeks, with the intern working around 35hrs per week between Monday-Friday. The intern will also be eligible to take part in the Edinburgh Award, enabling them to receive formal recognition for their commitment to gaining work experience during their studies.
We anticipate that this internship will be based entirely online (remote working from home), however, if at any point a return to the office is expected, then this could move to the central University campus.
• Audit, plan, and migrate parts of the existing web estate to the new University website platform.
• Use their understanding of web content management systems, such as Drupal, to make an important contribution to work towards solving tangible problems for the University and its web users.
• Use insight to research and recommend technical solutions to specific requirements, as and when needed.
• Assist the Website and Communications Team in analysing and solving accessibility and usability issues
• Prioritise and allocate tasks to technical support teams, both independently and with guidance from the team manager
• Take part in University professional group meetings, with the potential to contribute and/or present on progress.
• Critically review existing systems, processes and procedures, and make suggestions for improvements where appropriate
Students who meet the below criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
• A current University of Edinburgh undergraduate student
• Currently residing in the UK, and continuing to be located in the UK for the duration of the internship (due to complex tax and legal issues associated with employing staff overseas, we cannot accommodate any student working abroad while participating in this internship)
• Good knowledge and understanding of web content management systems, particularly Drupal.
• A demonstrable understanding of databases (including SQL) and working with large datasets.
• Knowledge and experience of modern data structures, including JSON.
• Proven ability to work independently on small projects.
• Proven ability to self-manage and plan workloads to deadlines.
• Good time management skills
Other benefits interns are entitled to include:Access to apply for internal job vacancies at the University of Edinburgh.For regular users of display screen equipment, a VDU eye test is available at one of the university's chosen optometrists.Access to University of Edinburgh library.Access to subsidised gym membership.
Please apply via the Unitemps link, uploading a CV and cover letter which clearly states how you have the appropriate skills and experience to be considered for the role.
PLEASE NOTE this advert may close early if sufficient applications are received prior to the closing date (21st April)